Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"That's Why It's Called Fishing, Not Catching"

One of the most amazing things about this experience so far is getting to know the locals. Instead of feeling like a tourist, I feel like a part of the community here. Yesterday, the dean of the junior college, Mr. Ellis, the principal of the high school, Mr. Vasquez, and one of the faculty members of the high school, Alberto, took Katy, Jeanne L., and myself out deep sea fishing. It was really an amazing experience, and something I don't think any tourist would get a chance to do.

They took us out on a boat with Captain Abel, who has an awesome name. Two of his relatives, Ricardo and Joseph, who were about our age, were also with us, helping out. They took us down to the southern end of the island, which is totally abandoned and protected by the government. The waters weren't protected, of course, and there were a few other boats out there with us. Everything was really clear and calm, although not as clear as the waters around Ak'Bol or Mexico Rocks.

I haven't really gone fishing since I was little and my grandfather would take us all fishing in the pond near our home in Pinetops. I wasn't really expecting to catch much, but there were so many fish even I caught eight or nine. Everyone did. We mostly caught snapper, although there were a few grouper and other fish as well. Some of the fish we caught were protected and had to be thrown back, and one of mine was eaten by a barracuda as I was reeling it in.

That's right folks, I said a barracuda. We saw a few leaping out of the water to snag the fish we were reeling in. We also saw some eagle rays leaping out of the water, which was amazing. The most awesome thing I saw, though, was a manatee, which couldn't have been more than 20 feet away from the boat. It crested and then dove back down, and I saw its large, broad tail slip beneath the waves. I wasn't even really aware that manatees came that far out in the sea.

It was really a great thing, and we were pretty much out all day. We came back and helped the guys clean the fish, and then we went on in. I was exhausted, but I had to be appreciative of the fact that they just took us out. It's not something that tourists would do, and that makes it awesome. I really don't think anything can replace the kind of experiences I've had so far, and guys, I've only been here two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment