Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Schools

So, the schools here are interesting to say the least. I've visited two elementary schools and the high school, where I will be doing my student teaching. My supervising teacher's name is Krista, and we're mainly going to be teaching grammar while I'm here. Since I never had a chance to teach grammar during my student teaching in the United States, this should be fun!

The teachers I've met all show just how diverse and interesting this small world is. Many are only high school graduates, while others have associate degrees from the local junior college. Others have studied abroad, and one young man was studying to be a Catholic priest in Saint Louis before returning to San Pedro. The principal of one of the elementary schools was a doctor from North Dakota. She came to the Caribbean to practice medicine, and found herself living here.

Goodness, everything here is so fascinating. I find myself wanting to write constantly. The high school is definitely poor by American standards. The windows don't even have glass. Then again, when the shutters open out onto a view of the Caribbean, which is right next to the school gym, who needs glass?

One thing that is easiest to notice is that teenagers are teenagers everywhere. Even though I've only observed for a day, the kids are the same. They joke, they gossip, they flirt, they listen to Ke$ha and Sean Paul on their iPods, and they are, well, teenagers. There isn't a better way to describe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment