Monday, March 29, 2010

Perfect Days

So, I know I should be blogging more. Belize is amazing, and I've just been overwhelmed with all the cool stuff I've had a chance to do this past week. I taught in the schools all week. I am teaching the novel The Schoolmaster by Earl Lovelace, which I hope to blog about once I've finished reading it. I've had great times with the other teachers at the school, and I have to admit that I've never had so much fun in my life.

This past weekend was just incredible. I know, I shouldn't brag. I'm very blessed to have this opportunity and I didn't deserve it, and I really wish all my friends and family from back home could be here. Actually, I've been a little homesick. Not that I'm really sad or anything, but I keep thinking about how awesome things would be if some people I know and love were here. But then again, I realize that I can always come back with them one day!

So, on Saturday a group of us biked to Ak'Bol, a yoga retreat and hostel on the north end of the island. It was absolutely beautiful, and we biked on the beach for a long way. The water was absolutely crystal clear, and we went snorkeling off the pier. I saw a lion fish and a ton of absolutely beautiful fish. Oh, I also had coconut French toast at the restaurant there. Then we all got into the absolutely breathtaking pool they had in the back of the hostel.

Honestly, that just took the morning. Then that night I heard an awesome cover band at a local restaurant, and some of the local teachers at our high school took us out dancing. It was quite the rarity for me to let loose like that, as anyone who knows me knows, but I had a great time. Granted, I did end up going back to our hostel earlier than everyone else. But remember, I haven't gone out dancing in about three years! So that's something.

The day after, we went out to Mexico Rocks, a breathtaking snorkeling site where I saw stingrays, coral, and more fish than I could count. Then we went diving for our own conchs, which we cooked and ate just a few hours later. By the end of the weekend I was sunburned, covered in mosquito bites, had cut my foot on a rock, and was more exhausted than I have ever been, but I can't imagine any more perfect days.

No comments:

Post a Comment