Friday, April 23, 2010

Soak It All In

Well, it's almost over. This time tomorrow, I will be in Miami, probably sleeping in some hotel or stressing out about all the insane things I have to get done in the two weeks before I graduate. Did I say that right? Two weeks before I graduate? Five and a half weeks in Belize already over? Keri and Katy actually convinced me to go out tonight and hang out? I really can't believe it, but it's true, and time really does fly when you're having fun.

I have to say that I think I've soaked in this adventure. That was my main goal coming here. To learn about the culture in any way possible, to observe and teach in the schools here, and to get a better understanding of the people of Belize. I feel like I've done that, and I have to say that I'm pretty proud of myself, and of the team that I've had the lovely honor of working with down here. I've done things that I would have never dreamed possible of me before.

I mean, this morning I was simply walking down the beach on my way to San Pedro High, and I was thinking, "Goodness, it's possible I might never see any of this again." I certainly want to come back, but you know how life goes. You move on, you find other things to do, your schedule becomes full again with new jobs, relationships, trips, and other plans, and things get pushed to the back burner. If I return to Belize in the future, it could easily be years from now, and of course, the beach will be very different by that time.

And so I commit to soaking it all in. To taking a lot of pictures, to embracing every memory, to enjoying all the annoying times, the frustrations, the mishaps, as well as the camaraderie, inside jokes, and chilling out that has been done here. And yes, I know that I am losing major English major credit by all these incomplete sentences and vague grammar usages. But it's a blog, right? Who cares about that stuff? I bet most of the people who see this on Facebook won't even read it.

And hey, that's okay with me. I mostly did this for my own benefit, anyway. It's going to be fun, years from now, to look back over this and see all the cool stuff I did, and read all my rambling posts, which I'm sure my inner grammar Nazi will hate. Hopefully, I'll look back on this and go, "Wow, I really did soak it all in, didn't I? What a blast." And really, it was a blast, and I'm going to be grateful for this experience for years to come. Thanks, everyone, and remember to soak it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment