Sunday, April 18, 2010

Adventures West

Well, it's been awhile since I've blogged on here! That is a shame, because this is actually for a grade, and I have a few more posts to do before I meet the passing quota. Odd for me. Can you imagine me not having much to say? Well, to put it simply, I've been incredibly busy for the last two weeks. I have a lot to catch people up on, but mainly I want to talk about my week inland. It was really one of the most incredible weeks of my life.

We started out by taking several water taxis and crowded buses west, towards the town of San Ignacio. It's in the mountains of Belize, which are incredibly close to the coast. Seriously, I think it's cool that you can get to the mountains in seven hours from Wilmington. In Belize, it really only took us two hours before we saw large, tropical hills. It was surreal. By the time we got to San Ignacio, we were exhausted, but we had landed a deal at a really nice hotel.

And then, a whirlwind of a week began. I really have no idea where to begin with this post. How do you talk about a week where you saw Mayan ruins, climbed up waterfalls, explored caves, and hung out in the jungle? I mean, I did all those things, and I still have to pinch myself. Can you imagine me rock climbing, up a waterfall, in a cave? Can you imagine me swimming in a freezing natural spring? I'm absolutely amazed that I actually did those things.

I have to say my favorite part of the tour is a tie. I enjoyed the ruins of Tikal amazingly, and no, it's not just because they were used during the filming of "Survivor," although that certainly helps! Just to be around ruins from a civilization that was lost thousands of years ago was an amazing experience, and it was pretty intense to climb some of the stone steps. I mean, let's face it folks. It was Guatemala, and it was hot.

But the most amazing thing was the waterfall cave, simply because I was able to climb a 20 foot cave wall, with a waterfall running down it, and then dive back down into the ten foot pool below. I've never thought myself capable of such things, and it really has been an incredible experience. I'm usually a better writer than this, but sometimes you can't write about things. You simply have to experience them, and I'm very grateful I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment